Whether you are a professional engineer who prefers to go for cordless drilling or a student on vacation who is a DIY hobbyist, having the perfect drill bit is vital to your project.
Drill bits come in a variety of sizes and shapes and can be made of various materials including titanium, steel, cobalt, etc. Which type of coating to be used depends on the type of project you are working on. For example, a hard coating such as that of carbide stays sharper for longer but is more brittle and thus can be easily broken.
Also Read: Which Engineering is most in demand?
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Drill Bits:
- 2 Best Drill Bits Coatings
- 3 Best Drill Bits
- 3.1 CRAFTSMAN Drill/Driver Set, Impact Ready Bits, 33 Pieces (CMAF1333)
- 3.2 DEWALT Titanium Drill Bit Set, Pilot Point, 21-Piece (DW1361)
- 3.3 IRWIN Drill Bit Set, M35 Cobalt Steel, 29-Piece (3018002)
- 3.4 Neiko 11401A Stubby Drill Bit Set for Wood, 6 Piece |
- 3.5 VonHaus 100-Piece Drill and Drive Bit Set
- 3.6 BLACK+DECKER Screwdriver Bit Set / Drill Bit Set, 109-Piece (BDA91109)
- 3.7 Makita T-01725 contractor-grade Bit Set
- 3.8 Drill America – KFD29J-PC 29 Piece Heavy Duty High-Speed Steel Drill Bit Set
- 3.9 Norseman Drill Bits 44170 Ultra-Dex Type 240-UB 135
- 3.10 EnerTwist Titanium Drill Bit Kit Set-230 piece
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 5 Concluding Note:
Types of Drill Bits:
High-speed steel is a commonly used material for bits which is an economical option and can be used for drilling into wood, plastic, and soft steels. It is more durable than low-steel carbon but once it gets heated it can lose its temper.
Cobalt-steel alloy drill bits have 5-8% cobalt. The 5% Cobalt alloy is known as M35 grade and the 8% alloy is called as M42 grade. They have a greater ability to withstand heat. They can easily be drilled into hard materials such as bronze, stainless steel, and more. However, they are more brittle than standard high-speed steel.
Tungsten Carbide drill bits are extremely hard and thus can easily drill into hard metals and other materials. However, these bits are expensive and more brittle than high-speed steel thus have a higher tendency of breaking.
Best Drill Bits Coatings
Different material is used for coating drill bits and it increases the durability.
Black Oxide coat is usually used on drill bits as it is inexpensive and provides corrosion resistance. It also aids in heat resistance and lubricity.
Gold Oxide is often used to coat bits that require more resistance to heat buildup. These bits are mostly designed for three-jaw drills.
Titanium Nitride coating lasts more than 6 times longer than high-speed steel. This coating increases friction thus making the edges stay sharper for longer.
Best Drill Bits
We looked at dozens of choices and have shortlisted the 10 best drill bits sets for your convenience.
DEWALT Titanium drill bit set is hands-down the winner owing to its best quality titanium finish and the wide range of drill bit sizes. That when combined with its 1-year warranty made it stand out amongst others.
The CRAFTSMAN Drill Bits set includes 33 pieces of bits with black oxide corrosion-resistant finish.
- Constructed with M2 modified steel for maximum durability
- Engineered to last longer than the standard bits
- Each bit ensures precise fit into the screw
- The optimized torsion zone is engineered best for impact drivers
- Comes in a plastic storage box for easy portability
- Compatible with the versa-track portable storage system
DEWALT Titanium Drill Bit Set, as appears from the name, is made of titanium ensuring a longer bit life.
- Features no-spin shanks that help prevent slipping
- The clip latch ensures secure closing
- 21-pieces of titanium coated drill bits in a variety of sizes in 1/16 inches to ½ inches
- Commonly used bit sizes for wood and metal projects
- Comes with a hard plastic carrying box for convenience and easy transport
- The tapered web ensures greater durability by reducing the breakage
- Comes with a 30 days money-back guarantee
The pocket-friendly Irwin Drill Bits Set includes 29 corrosion-free Cobalt high steel bits.
- These bits are constructed with premium quality Cobalt steel.
- It comes in various sizes that are commonly used i.e., from 1/16 inches to ½ inches in 1/62-inch increments.
- The 8% Cobalt ensures higher heat and abrasion resistance
- Engineered with heavy-duty web construction that provides higher durability and strength
- The 135-degree split point saves the cutting effort and starts drilling on contact.
- Comes in a rubber storage box providing convenience and portability
The Neiko 11401A Drill Bit Set is a three in one tool that provides countersinking, hole drilling, and tapping for a quick job.
- ¼ inch Hex Shank is equipped with a tapered end that prevents over-tapping
- Can be used on brass, copper, plastic, aluminum, and sheet metal
- Comes in a heavy-duty, molded plastic storage box that is durable and aids in easy transport
- Engineered to ensure sharp, fast execution with complete efficiency
- Includes a quick-change adapter for an easy size change
- Every drill bit has an engraved size that is easy to read
The VonHaus Drill Bit set includes 100 pieces of drill bits with a titanium finish to ensure corrosion resistance and strength.
- This set comes with specialist accessories and includes:
14 High-speed steel titanium bits
3 wood spade bits
4 hole saws
9 masonry bits.
1 magnetic holder
52 chrome vanadium steel driver bits and much more
- The easy-to-use feature makes it the best option for DIY projects and household maintenance.
- For easy identification, each bit is color-coded.
- Comes in a high-quality portable storage case with placeholders that keep your bits organized
The Black+Decker Drill Bit Set includes a range of common sizes of bits for plastic, wood, and masonry.
- Comes with a durable hard storage case that is water and resistance proof
- Accompanying the drill bits are a number of 1 inch and 2-inch screwdriver bits
- The versatility in the sizes of the drill bits makes this set the best option for all types of projects
- Fit any standard interchangeable drills
Matika T-01725 Contactor-Grade Bit set includes 70 cobalt bits.
- Corrosion-resistant due to the black oxide finish
- UltraLok ¼ inches hex shanks ensure no drill bit spin-out and fast and easy bit changes
- Constructed with high-speed steel for durability
- Compatible with all quick-change connector systems (electric or battery-powered drills or impact drivers)
- Features round shanks
- Comes with a storage case
- The three-inch magnetic holder ensures extra retention
- Features 135-degree split-point tips that prevent drill bit walking
- The set comes with the most commonly used nut-driver and screwdriver sizes
This jobber length drill bit set includes 29 cobalt bits in fractional sizes ranging from 1/16″ to 1/2″ by 1/64″ increments.
- Built with M2 premium grade high-speed steel to provide resistance and durability
- The finish of black and gold oxide provides hardness and corrosion-resistance
- Includes a unique round plastic storage case
- The distinguishing self-centering 135-degree split point feature helps to penetrate without a pilot hole
- The storage case can be hung with your belt, providing easy access when both hands are on the deck
The Norseman Drill Bits Set comes with 29 pieces of heavy-duty steel bits.
- The drill bits are featured with a gold oxide finish that makes it corrosion-free providing longer durability and strength
- Includes drill bits of varying sizes that are commonly used from 1/16 inches to ½ inches with 1/64 inches increments
- Engineered with a 135-degree split point for precision and easy cutting
The EnerTwist Titanium Drill Bit Kit set comes with 230 pieces of titanium-coated bits.
- The set includes varying sizes of drill bits ranging from 3/64 inches to ½ inches
- The titanium finish reduces heat buildup and increases durability to 6 times as compared to the conventional drill bits
- Can be used in metal, fiberglass, wood and, plastics.
- Comes in a tough plastic case that has molded placeholders for better organization
- Comes with a 1-year warranty and 30 days satisfaction guarantee.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1.Why do my drill bits keep on breaking?
Breakage is usually caused when you do not clear the chips, flex the bit, be too hard with them (as in applying too much pressure) or use low-quality drill bits.
2. Do I need special bits for the hammer drill?
The majority of the hammer drills have a three-jawed chuck that can work with the twisted drill bit as well. However, masonry drilling needs a specific type of bits.
Building something takes effort, time, and money. To make it last longer and stronger beware of the type of material you use. Drill bits are worth investing in as they would enhance the structure and increase the life of your project.